Why does this matter?
In a fast paced, transient city, genuine relationships and conversations are hard to come by. Hub Group on Wednesdays is when we come together as a church family to form a space for those genuine relationships and conversations to develop and be shaped as we read the Word of God.
An important aspect of Wednesday Hub running well is being on time and efficient so we can eat, meet in groups, and leave on time. Running Hub is therefore split into three roles: Hub Setup, Cleanup and Co-ordinator.
Hub Setup: What is Involved?
- This role is fairly flexible depending on your availabilities and cooking experience:
- If cooking on the day feel free to come earlier between 4pm – 5pm
- (Some just cook at home beforehand and bring it in and head it up)
- Aim to cook for 40 people at $5 a head max
- You can submit a reimbursement form on Elvanto for the ingredients and costs
- Arrive by 5:30pm. The setup role should take 15 mins.
- Open main glass doors at 5:30pm
- Fill urn and put on low, place tea, milk and sugar next to it
- Make sure there’s enough milk in the fridge
- Roll out 6 round tables and set up with 8 chairs at each table
- On each table set up a cane mat, a candle a top it, two jugs of water, and 8 glasses of water
- Set up square device and iPad (office) on the left of the serving station
- Set up Sunday bulletins and pens on a bar table
- Put plug in dishwasher and give it an empty run
- Tidy up any rubbish
Hub Cleanup: What is Involved?
As a team you should finish by 7:30pm and get 30 mins to pray as a group from 7:30 to 8:00pm.
- Try to minimise the noise for the sake of the other groups
- Put things away in their designated places
- Be careful of hot water, glass and sharp utensils
- Walk (don’t run) and don’t open doors quickly
- Avoid crowding the kitchen with too many people, where possible work in the servery area
- Don’t sniff the dishwasher powder
- Prep the dishwasher: insert plug, press in small green button, close lid. (it takes 12 mins to lead the hot water. When the noise stops its prepped.)
- Bring all plates, bowls and cutlery to the servery window and scape excess scraps into the bin
- Collect all glasses up and take straight to dishwasher. Empty liquids down the sink
- Run plates, bowls, cutlery, glasses through dishwasher
- Dry with a clean tea towel afterwards and place back in their respective places
- Take excess food to the cooking area. If appropriate, makeup takeaway portions with the leftovers. Throw out all other food. No food is to be left in the fridge or kitchen.
- Rinse cooking pots and serving bowls in the cooking area sink. Wash by hand or stack these to wait until the end of the dishwasher process
- Pack away tablecloths, mats and candles, iPad and square (to the office), wipe down the tables and servery bench
After groups finish at 8pm
- Collect all left over cups and plates from groups and run through dishwasher
- Throw out any take-away containers not claimed
- Unplug dishwasher, press the green button once drained to turn off
- Wipe down the kitchen benches
- Lay out the tea towels on the kitchen benches to dry
- Turn off kitchen lights and fans
Using the Dishwasher
- Clean glasses first, then plates and bowls, then cooking pots and serving bowls
- The dishwasher is the rate determining step. Keep it working by having the next load ready. Don’t clutter the loading area by bringing all dirty stuff there at once. Keep up with the drying
- Don’t over stack the dishwasher, it will take you longer in the end if things don’t clean properly
- If after 4 or more runs, the water looks dirty, carefully pull out the plug, and once drained re-prep the dishwasher
Hub Co-ordinator: What is Involved?
As a team the co-ordinators
- Assign volunteers to serve using Elvanto (Clean Up teams, Cook, Helpers, MC, Open and Close)
- Recruit new cooks and assistant cooks
- Review the Hub job descriptions from time to time
- Monitor and respond to last minute drop outs. (If the Cooks can’t make it last minute, we order pizza!)
- Check in with the cooks on duty periodically assisting them if needed
- Ensure tables are set, square for payment, name tags and bulletins (in office)
- Kick dinner off at 6pm (you give thanks or ask someone else)
- Make any relevant announcements, give reminder that groups are starting in 5 minutes at 6:40pm
- Dismiss us to groups at 6:45pm
- Encourage the cleanup team and check the kitchen is left tidy
- Report any breakages or other kitchen issues by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to check when you are serving on the Scots Church Sydney Elvanto app.
What if I can’t serve in my rostered role on a particular Sunday?
If you need to drop out in the week leading up to particular Sunday, mark yourself Declined for this role for that Sunday.
If you know ahead of time that you will be absent from church, mark yourself as Unavailable for that Sunday, so you don’t get rostered onto anything. How to mark yourself Unavailable.
Church involves lots of people serving in different ways. So we all know who is serving in a particular role on a particular day, please don’t arrange by yourself a swap with someone else. If you Decline or mark yourself Unavailable your coordinator will get notified and sort it out.
For Elvanto support email Dan our church administrator (Tues-Thurs).
Rostering Groups to Clean Up, Co-ordinating Dinner, Setup, Clean-Up, Lock Up and Everything that happens Wednesday Nights outside of groups is the role of the Dinner Co-ordinator.
Wed Night Dinner