Why does this matter?
Hub group on Wednesdays is when we come together as a church family to dig even deeper in God’s word together.
The key to Wednesday Hub running well is being on time and efficient so we can eat, meet in groups, and be away on time. Running Hub is therefore split into three roles: Hub Setup, Hub Co-ordinater, and Hub Cleanup.
Hub Setup: What is Involved?
- Arrive by 5:10pm. The setup role should take 15 mins.
- Unlock: enter through York St door, turn on entry lights (lights 1-4 on York St panel), open front gate but don’t open main glass doors until 5:30pm.
- Fill urn and put on low.
- Roll out 4 round tables and set up with 6-8 chairs at each table (use trolley for chairs).
- Put candles and cane mat on each table.
- Set up square device and iPad (office)
- Set up name tags and pens on a bar table. Fetch handouts from office and put on bar table. Nametags are in labelled draw in kitchen.
- Put plug in dishwasher and give it an empty run.
- Put out 2 jugs and 8 glasses per table.
- Open Glass Doors.
- Light candles.
- Tidy up any rubbish.
Hub Co-ordinator: What is Involved?
As a team the co-ordinators
- Assign volunteers to serve using Elvanto (Clean Up teams, Cook, Assist Cook, Open and Close).
- Recruit new cooks and assistant cooks.
- Review the Hub job descriptions from time to time.
One member of the coordination team will be appointed each week to
- Monitor and respond to last minute drop outs. (If the Cooks can’t make it last minute, we order pizza!)
- Arrive by 5:45pm and touch base with cooks.
- Ensure tables are set, square for payment, name tags and bulletins (in office).
- Kick dinner off at 6pm (you give thanks or ask someone else).
- Make any relevant announcements at 6:40pm.
- Dismiss us to groups at 6:45pm.
- Thank the cleanup team and check the kitchen is left tidy.
- Report any breakages or other kitchen issues by email to the church administration.
Hub Cleanup: What is Involved?
As a team you should finish by 7:30pm and get 30 mins to pray as a group from 7:30 to 8:00pm.
- Try to minimise the noise for the sake of the other groups.
- Put things away in their designated places.
- Be careful of hot water, glass and sharp utensils.
- Walk (don’t run) and don’t open doors quickly
- Avoid crowding the kitchen with too many people, where possible work in the servery area.
- Don’t sniff the dishwasher powder.
- Prep the dishwasher: insert plug, press in small green button, close lid. (it takes 12 mins to lead the hot water. When the noise stops its prepped.)
After Dinner (3 people or teams can work on these tasks at the same time)
- Team 1 – Bring all plates, bowls and cutlery to the servery window and scape excess scraps into the bin. Stack on the servery bench ready for the dishwasher once the glasses are done.
- Team 2 – collect all glasses up and take straight to dishwasher. Empty liquids down the sink. Stack glasses onto flat dishwasher tray. Run through dishwasher. Dry and stack in groups of 4 for transfer to cupboard.
- Team 3 – Take excess food to the cooking area. If appropriate, makeup takeaway portions with the leftovers. Throw out all other food. No food is to be left in the fridge or kitchen. Rinse cooking pots and serving bowls in the cooking area sink. Wash by hand or stack these to wait until the end of the dishwasher process.
- Whichever team finishes first can pack away tablecloths, mats and candles, iPad and square (to the office), wipe down the tables and servery bench.
After groups finish at 8pm
- There will be a small run of tea cups and glasses to put through the dishwasher.
- Throw out any take-away containers not claimed.
- Unplug dishwasher.
- Wipe down the kitchen benches.
- Lay out the tea towels on the kitchen benches to dry.
- Turn off kitchen lights and fans.
Using the Dishwasher
- Clean glasses first, then plates and bowls, then cooking pots and serving bowls.
- The dishwasher is the rate determining step. Keep it working by having the next load ready. Don’t clutter the loading area by bringing all dirty stuff there at once. Keep up with the drying.
- Don’t over stack the dishwasher, it will take you longer in the end if things don’t clean properly.
- If after 4 or more runs, the water looks dirty, carefully pull out the plug, and once drained re-prep the dishwasher.
Click here to check when you are serving on the Scots Church Sydney Elvanto app.
What if I can’t serve in my rostered role on a particular Sunday?
If you need to drop out in the week leading up to particular Sunday, mark yourself Declined for this role for that Sunday.
If you know ahead of time that you will be absent from church, mark yourself as Unavailable for that Sunday, so you don’t get rostered onto anything. How to mark yourself Unavailable.
Church involves lots of people serving in different ways. So we all know who is serving in a particular role on a particular day, please don’t arrange by yourself a swap with someone else. If you Decline or mark yourself Unavailable your coordinator will get notified and sort it out.
For Elvanto support email Dan our church administrator (Tues-Thurs).
Rostering Groups to Clean Up, Co-ordinating Dinner, Setup, Clean-Up, Lock Up and Everything that happens Wednesday Nights outside of groups is the role of the Dinner Co-ordinator.
Wed Night Dinner
Andrew (Popo) Loh
Wed Night Hub Groups