Music Team Member: What is Involved?
Before the Day
- Learn the songs before you turn up by practising at home. This is a way of making sure your time together is not spent learning the song, but working out how to present the songs together as a team.
On the Day
- Arrive at 9am to do a ‘run through’ and be ready to start on time. Check the order of songs as printed on the bulletin. Check with the Leader as to who is introducing songs, etc. Work constructively and generously as a team, under the direction of the team leader. Remind one another of the way music is a ministry to the congregation.
- Practice singing using the lyrics on the monitor (the hard copy of the song might be different to the projector!)
- 10:15am – be part of the prayer for all involved on the platform.
At the end:
- Leave the music area tidy and put away all music.
- If there has been a problem with song lyrics, music needing correction, stuff missing, let the Music Co-ordinator know so we can fix it for next time.
Music Leader: What is Involved?
As well as following the music team member’s job description, the Music Leader has the following duties.
Early in the week
- look at the scheduled songs and assess the ability of the team to execute these songs. If appropriate, remind the team members of new songs and encourage preparation, or suggest a song change to the Music Co-ordinator.
Lead the team on the day.
- Liaise with the appointed Leader for the morning on introductions, instructions (sit, stand, etc) and the general flow of the morning.
- Ensure child protection protocols are followed. In particular, don’t allow yourself, or other team members, to be alone in a private area with a team member under 18 years of age.
AV Team Member and Leader: What is Involved?
- Arrive at 9am.
- Before anything else… turn on the computer monitors at the power board. Open EasyWorship and load the schedule for this Sunday (if not already done). Follow the instructions carefully in the first item “Sound Desk Instructions”
- 10:15am: You are a vital part of the team – join us for prayer on the stage. Check with the Platform Leader regarding mics required for any items or interviews.
- Be ready to start on time. Aim to complete the set up by 10:15am.
- At 10:15am the Leader will turn off the church lights (2–6 on the light panel).
- At 10:25am, when the Leader turns on all house lights, play the intro video. Volume high.
- Unless there is a specific plan to do otherwise, don’t wait until the next item (song, Bible Reading, etc.) is announced before putting up the first slide.
- Stay alert to changes in sound levels for different speakers.
- Stay alert for “spur of the moment” unscripted changes (leaders have an annoying habit of doing this when you least expect it).
- Start recording the talk during the Bible reading. It gets trimmed later. Stop recording after the talk.
- Craig provides an annotated script of the talk so you can progress the slides.
- Mute and open mics as required. However, leave the main Lectern mic on all the time.
- Immediately when the service ends, play the audio of the video from the start of church at half volume with no visual. Once it has played once no more music is required. Don’t play Spotify or stuff from your own device as we don’t have copyright arrangements.
- Turn off the monitors at the power board. Do not turn off individual screens.
- Use the remote controls to turn OFF the projector and TV.
- Do not turn off the PC or WIFI point.
Music Co-ordinator: What is Involved?
(The music co-ordinators work behind the scenes to keep things organised.)
- Manage last minute drop-outs (after 1pm Thursday) using Elvanto to check who is available.
- Maintain the playlist. When new songs are introduced, source the sheet music and ensure (through church administration) that new lyrics are added into EasyWorship.
- Ensure (through church administration) that sheet music resources are in order.
- Alert the church administration of damaged or missing gear.
- Recruit new team members and team leaders (subject to approval by the Serve Director).
Click here to check when you are serving on the Scots Church Sydney Elvanto app.
What if I can’t serve in my rostered role on a particular Sunday?
If you need to drop out in the week leading up to particular Sunday, mark yourself Declined for this role for that Sunday.
If you know ahead of time that you will be absent from church, mark yourself as Unavailable for that Sunday, so you don’t get rostered onto anything. How to mark yourself Unavailable.
Church involves lots of people serving in different ways. So we all know who is serving in a particular role on a particular day, please don’t arrange by yourself a swap with someone else. If you Decline or mark yourself Unavailable your coordinator will get notified and sort it out.
For Elvanto support email Dan our church administrator (Tues-Thurs).